Banana cupcakes with cream pie filling topped with banana frosting!
yield: 12-14 CUPCAKES
10 tbsp (140g) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar (207g)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 large egg white
1 large egg
1 2/3 cups (217g) all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup (120ml) mashed bananas (the riper, the better)
1/2 cup (120ml) milk
2 tbsp (30ml) water
1/4 cup (52g) sugar
1 tbsp cornstarch
3/4 cup (180ml) milk
1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
1 tbsp (14g) salted butter
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup (60ml) heavy whipping cream
2 tbsp powdered sugar
1/2 cup (112g) salted butter
1/2 cup (95g) shortening
4 1/2 cups (518g) powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup banana chip crumbs
5-6 tbsp (75-90ml) heavy whipping cream or milk
TO MAKE THE CUPCAKES:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
2. Beat butter and sugar until light in color and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
3. Add vanilla extract and mix until combined.
4. Add egg white and egg in two batches, mixing until combined after each.
5. Combine dry ingredients in another bowl, then combine mashed bananas, milk and water in another bowl.
6. Add half of the dry ingredients to the batter and mix until well combined.
7. Add the milk and banana mixture and mix until well combined.
8. Add remaining dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
9. Fill cupcake liners about halfway. Bake for 17-19 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out with a few crumbs.
10. Remove cupcakes from oven and allow to cool for 2-3 minutes, then remove to cooling rack to finish cooling.
TO MAKE THE FILLING:
1. Add sugar, cornstarch and milk to a large saucepan and mix until smooth.
2. Cook, stirring continuously, over medium-high heat until mixture begins to thicken and bubble.
3. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
4. Add a little bit of milk mixture to the egg yolk and whisk together, then add egg mixture to milk mixture.
5. Place pan back on the heat and bring to a light boil. Allow to boil for 2 minutes, stirring continuously.
6. Remove from heat and add butter and vanilla. Stir until smooth, then set aside to cool too room temperature.
7. Once cooled, beat the heavy whipping cream and powdered sugar until stiff peaks form.
8. Gently fold the whipped cream into the cream filling.
TO MAKE THE FROSTING:
1. Beat butter and shortening together until smooth.
2. Add half of the powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
3. Add the vanilla extract, banana chip crumbs and 5 tbsp heavy cream and mix until smooth.
4. Add remaining powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
5. Add remaining heavy cream, if needed and mix until smooth.
TO ASSEMBLE THE CUPCAKES:
1. Cut the core out of the cupcakes. I like to use a cupcake corer.
2. Fill the holes with about 1 tablespoon of cream filling.
3. Pipe frosting onto the cupcakes. I used the Ateco 808 large round tip.
4. Top cupcakes with a banana chip and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Cupcakes are best for 2-3 days.
Read more at http://www.lifeloveandsugar.com/2016/04/11/banana-cream-pie-cupcakes/#YMsPvwtzhE4TfKiB.99