Beat the heat with this refreshing cheesecake! Infused with tangy limes and smooth rum, guests and family members alike will have a hard time resisting this decadent dessert.
1 cup crushed graham crackers
¼ cup butter melted
2 (8 oz.) packages of cream cheese (room temperature)
1 cup sour cream (optional)
½ cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon rum extract
2 large eggs (room temperature)
¾ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
2 tablespoons grated lime zest
What You Do:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a small bowl, combine the ingredients for a crust. After it’s well mixed, press it into the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan, forming a crust.
3. In a separate bowl, beat the cream cheese at medium speed until it’s smooth. Gradually add in the sour cream, sugar, rum, and vanilla, being careful not to over mix.
4. Add in the lime juice and zest, and then the eggs one at a time.
5. When it’s mixed, pour the filling into the springform pan.
6. Wrap the bottom of the pan with tin foil and place on a larger metal pan with sides. Fill the larger pan with hot water. (This is called a hot water bath and prevents the cheesecake from cracking and darkening by distributing moisture throughout the cooking process.)
7. Bake the cheesecake for 40 minutes, or until the center is almost set. (It will continue to cook as it cools, so it’s okay if the center looks a bit wiggly.)
8. Loosen the cake from the sides of the pan using a knife, and then allow it to cool to room temperature.
9. Once it’s cool, remove the side of the springform pan and chill for at least 4 hours before serving.
10. Garnish with sprigs of fresh mint, if desired.